Tax time stage fright? The ATO can help
The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) has put together a range of resources and tips to help you lodge your tax return this year.
- Check out the work-related expenses guide for performing artists to find out what you can and can’t claim this year.
- COVID-19 has had a big impact on the performing artist industry and as a result you might have a few new and different claims this year. If you’ve received a COVID-19 support payment, remember the tax treatment of these payments varies so make sure you visit the ATO’s quick guide to the tax treatment of the various COVID-19 payments.
- Don’t forget, any COVID-19 tests you purchased for work purposes are now tax deductible. You can claim a deduction for any tests you paid for from 1 July 2021 as longs as you:
- used the test for a work-related purpose
- had a qualifying COVID-19 test, such as a PCR test or a rapid antigen test
- have a record of your purchase (you can use to ATO app)
- were not reimbursed for the cost by your employer.
Finally, if you need help completing and lodging your tax return and your income is around $60,000 or less, you may be eligible for the ATO’s free Tax Help program.
If you need more information, you can find it at ato.gov.au/pa.
Read more about deductions you can claim here.